Re: resolutions

by Susan Pinochet <pinochet(at)polaris.net>

 Date:  Tue, 17 Feb 1998 13:24:18 -0500
 To:  hwg-graphics(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12.44 pm -0500 1998.02.17, Sue Slade wrote:
>Since screen resolution does affect images, do you believe that most
>people have their screen resolutions set to 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 and
>up?  I was just curious and what like to have any opinions offered.

Instances of this and similar questions asked in this group show that most
people here use 800x600. The question itself and asking it here shows an
interesting bias. Most everyone here is a designer. Unless your page is for
designers this sample will be poor for your purposes.

All the non-designers I know personally still use 640x480, (which is not
one of the options in the question) and they complain that many web pages
must be scrolled horizontally. Unless your info is incredibly compelling
for them, this runs them many of them off. Why do those with multisync
monitors use 640x480 when browsing the web? The answer I get is because the
text on sites they visit frequently (they may mean text contained in
graphics or text contained in HTML) is too small to read at higher
resolutions.

So, I think the thought behind this question is pertinent. How do we as
designers (professional or amateur) design graphics (that may contain text)
so that they look good at a wide variety of resolutions without them
becoming so large that they require horizontal scrolling on smaller
monitors?

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are based on personal experience
and anecdotal evidence and do not reflect any scientific study.

-- Susan Pinochet <pinochet(at)polaris.net>
     home < ... coming soon ... >
   church <http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/5876/>
    pride <http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/9209/>